Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Moment of Great Art By William Blake

Today, I will write a poem or poems for illustrations/water colors by William Blake.

"William Blake ( November 28, 1757-August 12, 1827) was an English poet, painter, and printmaker. Largely unrecognised during his lifetime, his work is today considered seminal and significant in the history of both poetry and the visual arts.

"According to Northrop Frye, who undertook a study of Blake's entire poetic opus, his prophetic poems form "what is in proportion to its merits the least read body of poetry in the English language." Others have praised Blake's visual artistry, at least one modern critic proclaiming Blake "far and away the greatest artist Britain has ever produced."

"While his visual art and written poetry are usually considered separately, Blake often employed them in concert to create a product that at once defied and superseded convention. Though he believed himself able to converse aloud with Old Testament prophets, and despite his work in illustrating the Book of Job, Blake's affection for the bible was belied by his hostility for the church, his beliefs modified by a fascination with Mysticism and the unfolding of the Romantic movement around him. Ultimately, the difficulty of placing William Blake in any one chronological stage of art history is perhaps the distinction that best defines him.
Once considered mad for his single-mindedness, Blake is highly regarded today for his expressiveness and creativity, and the philosophical vision that underlies his work. As he himself once indicated, "The imagination is not a State: it is the Human existence itself."


***

Such beauty in our darkest lies. My poems will not rot as his paintings, illustrations for poems, epiphanies continue. I met a woman. I said we were an odd couple. I am wrong. We are precisely matched. My age, her life, are connected. We can march together in another sphere, and I don't care who objects. I am a free man and she a free woman. We owe no one explanation.

She told me she loved Matisse before I said I loved the man. We are an adventure. Isn't that the first steps of a love affair that is almost god like.

William Blake. You are magnificent. Ash, you are my inspiration.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: